9.13.2007

Late Night Post

I'm stuck awake, perfect time for another attempt at a random post!

Today was probably THE best day I've had at Liberty so far. Classes were great. Then after class I went to the post office and met a lady who told me about a church that I hope to visit. I'd only known the lady for five minutes and when we left, she gave me a super long hug. It was such a blessing...I haven't had a long hug in a while. (I miss you JuJu-Bee...can't wait til the 29th!)

My youth ministry professor suggested today that the parable of the Prodigal Son isn't about backsliders who recognize the error of their ways and eventually return to the Lord. Instead, the Prodigal was lost to begin with. The Gentiles would have identified with him. The pharisees would have identified with the older son that gets jealous, though he was always with the father. If this is true, then what of backsliders? Is there really such a thing as a backslidden believer? Maybe not...

Think of the parable of the four seeds. One seed never sprouts. Two seeds fall on separate grounds and produce temporary results. They appear to hold the promise of being fruitful and true, but both die.

Only one yields a harvest. Only one is proven true.

I don't believe that a true child of God can lose their salvation. But the more I study, the more I believe that one can have the appearance of a genuine believer, only to be proven false in the long wrong.

Think of Judas. He was one of the twelve disciples. He beheld God in the flesh. He actually kissed the face of God. Yet the kiss was one of betrayal. He had the appearance of a disciple, but was untrue.

Scary.

Like the title of this post says...it's late. I would love to expand, but my brain is shutting down. Maybe I'll pick up where I've left off some other day.

No comments: